Our home and garden are places to relax and enjoy. Unfortunately at this time of the year, they can also result in unexpected back pain!
The change in weather sees us wanting to get out and do the garden and get started on those decorating or DIY tasks.
Problem is, your body is suddenly forced into making moves it’s probably not been used to for a few months. Back pain is often caused through a simple manoeuvre done incorrectly.
So here’s a few hints and tips to protect your back whilst gardening and avoid a few home hazards too.
How to protect your back when mowing the lawn
Just like any strenuous task which isn’t done on a regular basis, mowing the lawn can lead to tired and aching muscles in the back.
Standing or walking in a semi-flexed posture while pushing a heavy mower places huge stress on the low back. Muscles can become tired quickly and ache, leading to pain which can feel like an intense throbbing continue reading
How to protect your back whilst gardening
It’s always tempting especially at the beginning of the season to do too much at once! But when your muscles are not used to what you are asking them to do – it is easy to cause strain.
Poor lifting techniques are so often responsible for causing injury or back pain. But what looks like a light load can be deceiving. continue reading
Back pain in the home and how to avoid them
Often, patients arrive in pain, feeling perplexed that the pain occurred through doing an everyday household activity – when they are generally a fit and active person.
Something as simple as loading the dishwasher or lifting a chair can suddenly trigger a weakness you never knew you had. I refer to this as the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Let’s take a look at some of the common hazards in the home and the measures you can take to help prevent them continue reading
To book an appointment call 020 8943 2424, if you are unsure which treatment you require our receptionists will help and arrange a telephone call with a practitioner if necessary.
- By Chiropractor Catherine Quinn Often, patients arrive to see me in pain, feeling perplexed that the pain occurred through doing an everyday household activity - when they are generally a…
- Just like any strenuous task which isn’t done on a regular basis, mowing the lawn can lead to tired and aching muscles in the back. Most of these injuries are…
- By Chiropractor Nick Loftus How can you avoid back pain? Probably the most important thing to know is that the vast majority of it is avoidable! It is not an…
- By Chiropractor Nick Loftus 'I was fine and then all of a sudden I couldn't move without pain - what did I do'? This kind of comment is all too familiar…
- Mention the word sciatica and the most likely response from anyone who has suffered it will be ‘horrible’! And it is horrible. So what exactly is sciatica? The sciatic nerve…