By Chiropractor Matthew Clifton Hadley
There is nothing more disconcerting than to be moving normally one minute and the next – OUCH! Your back has gone into spasm.
Unfortunately this is something which can happen to most of us and when it does happen it can be quite frightening.
The reason why your back can suddenly ‘go’ can be put down to a multitude of different reasons, the majority of which can be fixed quite quickly.
The most important thing is not to panic.
4 easy steps to try to ease the pain:
1- Keep moving! This will prevent the joints and muscles from seizing up too much. You do not want to spend more than 30 minutes in one position. Although this may be painful it will NOT do the back any damage.
2- Use icepacks, ideally a gel based ice pack from the freezer. If you don’t have one of these a pack of peas can also do a good job. Next, wrap the ice pack in a tea towel and put it onto the sore area for 20 minutes. Now leave it off for an hour and then repeat.
This can be done throughout the first 24 hours.
3- Over the counter pain relief. You need to be taking an anti-inflammatory and a painkiller if needed. You should consult your GP or pharmacist if you need any more information about medication.
4- See a practitioner that understands backs. The quicker you get your pain problem looked at, the easier it is to help you get you up and about, find the cause of the problem and help to avoid any recurrences.
The above are the four simple steps to take if you suddenly find yourself with acute neck pain, acute low back pain or sciatica. At the Waldegrave Clinic you will find a reputable team of chiropractors and physiotherapists . You can read our patient reviews here
To book an appointment – or to speak with one of our chiropractors or physiotherapists – please call 020 8943 2424 – we are here to help.
Read Matthew’s personal profile
- I chose to become a chiropractor because... My father was a chiropractor so it is something I was brought up with. Having had treatment from an early age I have…
- By Chiropractor Matthew Clifton Hadley There is nothing more disconcerting than to be moving normally one minute and the next – OUCH! Your back has gone into spasm. Unfortunately this…
- By Chiropractor Matthew Clifton Hadley Injuries from golf can happen to complete amateurs or to professional golfers. Being a golfer myself the most amount of warm up I used to…
- By Chiropractor Matthew Clifton Hadley One of the main questions that I get asked by patients is if chiropractic care would be appropriate for an elderly relative or friend. With chiropractic…
- By Chiropractor Matthew Clifton Hadley For any keen skiers, the sharp frostiness in the winter air is a welcome sign that soon we will be sipping some gluhwein at the…