What is Eczema?
Eczema is the inflammation of the skin and can be a very distressing, chronic condition which affects children of all ages and adults. It is the body’s way of letting the person know that something inside is out of balance and needs correcting/treating.
What are the typical causes?
Typical causes may be due to any or all of the following:
- Allergies such as reaction to certain foods or chemicals which may be present in shampoos, soaps or other skin products
- Inherited allergies which may be part of other systems, such as the respiratory system
- The symptoms of the eczema may be inherited which is why eczema may be common in certain families
What are the typical symptoms?
Typical symptoms can vary from person to person, some of which can be:
- Red, inflamed skin
- Dry, scaly skin with white flakes
- Thickening of the skin especially after scratching
- The skin may crust over and then ooze, often a yellowish liquid
- Itching, which makes the sufferer scratch until it is raw or bleeding. This is the most distressing symptom with eczema as it can cause the person to wake during the night. Children especially find it very hard to cope with as it can cause a great deal of discomfort.
How can Eczema be treated?
The first port of call is usually a visit to the GP. The allopathic method of treatment tends to start with steroid creams and antihistamine medicines which help to relieve the skin symptoms and itching. In more serious cases they may be referred to a dermatologist which might involve wet wraps of the affected skin or UV (ultraviolet) light treatment.
Why some Eczema sufferers consider using homeopathy
Some parents or adult patients turn to homeopathy because they have found that the allopathic treatments, such as the use of steroid creams, may have had some effect but as soon as the treatment ceased the symptoms returned. Similarly they may also have found that the other treatments had very little or no beneficial effect.
Allopathic medicines often work on the basis of suppressing or palliating the symptoms which can lead to other problems arising.
The underlying ethos of homeopathic treatment is to find the cause of the symptoms and work with the body’s systems to help it to heal itself. Suffering with Eczema may be due to inherited traits or it might have been triggered by an experience which caused great anxiety and which has not been resolved.
Whatever the cause it is a matter of finding the remedy that most closely matches the symptoms. Homeopathic creams, which are made from natural plants and/or minerals, may also be used to help palliate the itching, burning and/or soreness.
Some benefit Eczema patients have gained from homeopathy
Homeopathy works with the body not against it. It treats the whole person rather than the disease. When a patient comes for the initial consultation it is necessary to take a complete history of physical/general symptoms, mental/emotional symptoms and what makes the eczema/itching better or worse.
It is also important to take a medical history of the family to ascertain which traits the patient may have inherited.
Until you find the cause of the symptoms it is difficult to improve the patient’s condition.
There are many remedies that can be used for the symptoms of eczema but it depends on the type of eczema. This is decided from the information gained from the consultation.
A few remedies that are often indicated are the following. Please note – not all the symptoms that are taken into account are listed – this is just a flavour of each remedy, there are many more remedies that are used.
- The patient may be chilly and sensitive to drafts
- Better for open air
- The eczema may be burning, prickling with itching
- Worse at night and worse for the warmth of the bed
- There may be itching without eruption
- Thickening of the skin after scratching which becomes hard
- Must scratch until raw
- Dry and very scaly skin or
- Dry and bleeding after scratching
- Itch is better for warmth
- Itching alternates with burning sensation
- Must scratch until the skin bleeds
- Intense burning and itching
- The skin can be dry and look unhealthy
- The itch is worse for warmth, worse at night and during sleep
- Eruptions are worse from water
- Redness of the skin
- The patient must scratch until the skin is raw
Homeopathy is a natural form of treatment. The main purpose is to support the patient with their condition in order to help ameliorate the symptoms. To no longer feel self-conscious about their skin condition means they can get their life back and regain their self-confidence.
To enquire about homeopathy at the Waldegrave Clinic please call and speak with our friendly reception team who will arrange an appointment: 020 8943 2424.